Monday, January 21, 2013

A Letter to My Son

In the last few months I came across a precious birthday facebook post to a grown daughter, articulating the things that made her, well, her, and a random blog - I would not even know where to find - filled with letters to her children.  

Both left me inspired to do the same.

I want few things more than for my boys to know I am crazy about them.  If only I could wrap them up forever in the safety of my love.  But alas, I have to release them to this crazy world.  So why not blanket them in words of who they are, how much I love them, and what they can offer the world? 

For Charles Henry, and for the hope of inspiring someone else to write their own.

December 4, 2012

Dear Charles Henry,

Happy five and a half. You are officially closer to 10 years old than you are to newborn. (Yikes!)

Did you know your Daddy and I are crazy about you? We are. Words can’t begin to describe.
In fact, we are so thrilled to celebrate you, that unlike normal people who celebrate birthdays, we even want to celebrate you on your half birthday! We are looking for ways to let you know how completely thrilled we are that you were born!

This last half year has been such a milestone. You nervously began your first organized sport and even ended the season with your first goal. You bravely ventured to kindergarten and come home filled with new knowledge that has been passed down to you from someone other than me. You are growing up.

You are such a helpful big brother. Sometime I hear your voice change to a soft, nuturing voice as you say “Nolan, Nolan, do you know how to say ‘very good’ in Spanish?” He does not, of course, so you are quick to teach him. Last night I sent you both upstairs to get your pjs on and you both came down ready for bed. You had taken on a big brother role and helped your brother get dressed for bed.

I am so proud of you, Charles Henry, as I watch you become less of a child, and more of a boy.

The “naughty” boy at school has declared you his favorite friend at school, in fact, you seem to be somewhat of his only friend. You are unsure about this, since you don’t like how he is “naughty”, but yet, his declaring you his favorite friend says something about your character. That you are kind and inclusive. That you don’t shun or shame people who act inappropriately.

You have a kind, sensitive spirit.

You enjoy learning and are full of curious questions. You love helping and doing things as a team. You love crafts and become absorbed in a craft project for long lengths of time, spreading your work through the entire room as you create your masterpiece. You seem to enjoy organizing. You love anything that is done in relationship - laundry, baking, games, even cleaning up - if it is done with someone you care about. You are appropriately cautious about new things, but thrive when you know what is expected about you.

You are you. Daddy and I will continue to give input into who you are and help shape who you become, but ultimately you are you, and we couldn’t be more thrilled to have a you be part of the us of our family.

We love you, forever and always.
Happy five and a half.





1 comment:

  1. Dear Chuck - Before you were born I was a wife and mother. On June 4, 2007 when you were born I became a grandma. YOU made me a grandma. Being a grandma makes me very very happy. I love you, my first grandson

    ReplyDelete